NEUROSCIENCE for EMPOWERED INNOVATION
Increase creativity, empathy, and initiative using a neuroscience-based methodology for cultivating growth mindset.
For educators and thought leaders.
INSPIRE INNOVATION, NOT REGURGITATION
In this episode, I'll share with you the key ingredient you MUST know in order to increase the chances that you will be able to help others adopt a growth-oriented mindset for themselves. In fact, I propose that this key idea is what you should talk about before - possibly even INSTEAD OF - mentioning the word 'growth mindset'.
When you see people not living to their highest potential...
It is because, through biofeedback and mirror neuron processes, they have adopted neural pathways that are preventing them from seeing themselves through the lens of a growth mindset: that they are powerful and capable of contributing their gifts and unleashing their unique form of genius.
Many of us adopt these fixed mindsets from being in the regular presence of people who:
- have fixed mindsets
- are poor regulators of their stress and emotions
- do not activate diverse brain activity by experiencing multiple perspectives and learning about new areas and skills they are not familiar with
and from being exposed regularly to systems (like school and many areas of society) that:
- reward compliance and obedience, rather than trusting our own guidance, or questioning of status quo
- discourage 'outliers' and disrupters
- make us fearful and ashamed of failure and making mistakes
HOW POTENTIAL IS REVEALED
High levels of AGENCY, EMPATHY, and PURPOSE can help spark new brain activity that disrupts auto-pilot neural pathways that keep us afraid of failure or challenging status quo.
When leaders, educators and innovators:
- learn the science behind growth mindsets and self directed neuroplasticity, they increase their belief in their own ability, and others' ability to figure things out (AGENCY)
- increase their Social and Emotional Intelligence, they are better able to understand their own and others' perspectives in a way that a person feels empowered to take positive action based on increasing harmony and altruism for humanity and the world in general (EMPATHY)
- understand their unique role in serving a purpose bigger than themselves, they increase their perseverance through challenges('SELF-TRANSCENDENT PURPOSE': see article from Stanford here)
When leaders, educators and innovators internalize these factors, they then model biofeedback and neural processes that spark higher levels of agency, compassion and purpose in those around them.
What you WON'T get
If you want the 'secret formula' for converting people to a growth mindset, you will not find that here.
I think that buzz words and prescriptions can be dangerous. They let people off the hook from actually doing the work - the long term, moment-by-moment work it takes to become a master of anything.
As Carol Dweck says, "growth mindset is not a proclamation. It's a journey".
There is a HUGE misunderstanding that is growing about Mindset and it's making it hard to infuse and inspire on a more wide-scale level:
Mindset begins with insight into how learning happens and how beliefs influence our ability to learn - BEFORE the focus shifts to activities, behaviors, 'techniques' and attempts to convince others of the concept of growth mindset. There are biomechanical processes that affect learning, brain development and the architecture of mindset.
Once you know about these 'neuromechanics of brain-building', you don't need buzz words or activities. It becomes a way of SEEING life through new eyes. That's when the 'magic' happens.
That is a distinctive of my training: there is an intentional de-emphasis on 'skill acquisition' in order to get to the deeper roots of human development, which I believe begin with insight, and removing blindness that stems from misunderstandings of behavior and knowledge. My focus is on presenting ideas that spark personal 'aha moments' among leaders and educators, for them to integrate it into their own self-awareness - and from there, come up with new, ever-evolving ideas that improve knowledge, innovation, and deeper learning.
The other distinctive: I don't believe in learning just to promote one's own ideas of success. I believe we are all learners who never stop learning, and we do this to make life collectively feel easier for all living beings. We learn in order to open up channels for new ideas and the evolution of knowledge itself. I believe genius exists in everyone and it's up to us as a species to help as many of us recognize what our unique form of genius is.
If that sounds like it blends well with your vision, I hope you'll keep reading and watching...